Saturday, June 30, 2012

Travel Around the World Without Ever Leaving L.A.


Hey! I’m Julia Shapiro and I am one of the summer interns at Westlake Magazine. I will be a senior at Calabasas High School in the fall and since I write for the Calabasas Courier I jumped at this opportunity to broaden my journalistic skills and knowledge. Westlake Magazine is providing me with both a creative outlet to exert my writing potential and a medium to enhance my skills and learn more about “a day in the life of a journalist.” As a journalist on the rise, the Valley has provided me with numerous sources of inspiration. Writing for my school newspaper and now being involved in Westlake Magazine has brought to my attention the events and places that I otherwise would completely overlook. This has not only broadened my knowledge of the place I live but also has opened my eyes to the little things in life and the different cultures that surround us everyday.
I am very excited to be working on expanding Westlake Magazine’s social media this summer. The section I will be writing on is food and travel. I love discovering new places to eat and what better way to share my findings than through this blog? I truly believe that people come together over food. It is a staple of our culture and we often center our day around a delicious meal. I know I do. As for travel, I constantly find myself flipping through the pages of magazines and admiring the beautiful sandy beaches of the Caribbean and the mysterious jungles of Costa Rica. However, in reality, how many of us really get the opportunity to travel to all of these exotic locations? This is why this summer, I am creating a travel and local foods guide, allowing everyone to travel around the world without every leaving the Valley. Indulge and immerse yourself in dozens of cultures this summer. Just follow my blog every week to see where to travel next.